Thoughts,Songs,Writings,Rants,Encouragements, and Life

Sunday, April 15, 2007

Books

So I have been reading quite a few books these days. Trying to increase my knowledge on some things, trying to be a better man to my sweetheart Amber, trying to just relax, learning about injustices in other countries and so much more. Here is the list:

For Men Only-Shaunti and Jeff Feldhahn:
Basically a book that helps men know their girlfriends, wives, babes, honeyboos, schmookums, cupcakes, peaches, lady friends, and countless other names...better. I highly recommend this book. There is also a companion book to this called "For women only".

A long way gone-Ishmael Beah:
This book is all about the memoirs of a boy soldier named Ishmael. Born in Sierra Leone in 1980. This is his story. Not very far into it yet, but so far, so good. Beah has an odd style of writing, but once you understand the beat and can get moving with it, you begin grooving and bopping along with the story. By the way, this book is not for the feint hearted; gut wrenching, hellish, bloody, and graphic to say the least!

The on-purpose person-Kevin W. McCarthy:
Okay, have not actually started this book, but according to its cover, it is about making my life make sense. It is all about planning and setting goals and such. Should be good for me. I have goals...and plan things...they just...well...you know...kind of happen more irregularly or more erratically than planned.

The Brothers K-David James Duncan:
So, I have to admit I started this book whilst I was traveling all over India this past February. The truth is, I love this book. I love the writer. I love the story. I am only half way through this novel because, well, I just don't want it to end. The last novel I read of Duncan's was amazing and caused me to want to fly fish for the rest of my life. This book has me actually beginning to love baseball like I did when I was five, until my allergies took over my life and caused me to hate the sport with a passion. Anyway, I am part of the family in this book. I feel their pain, I laugh when they laugh, cry when they cry, feel awkward when they do, cheer when they do, and ultimately a portion of me will be left behind when I finish this book. You see I have always been capable of putting myself in others shoes. I step right into them and make them my own. I experience every little emotion and life changing event. I dream, a little too often. Do not get me wrong, my life is perfect the way it is. I would not wish to switch it with anyone else's. I just have this knack for living in two separate worlds. Sometimes for moments at a time and other times for only a few precious seconds out of each day.

God's and General's-Jeff Shaara:
Just found this last night. Peeked at the introduction and knew that once I started it I would not be able to put it down...so I chose not to start it and slept. The book is the precurser to Gettysburg or Killer Angels by Michael Shaara. This is his sons project. There is also a third book. The first two have been made into motion pictures. I love them both. Although both together equal over eight hours of movie time, they are still two of my favored war time films out there today. If you haven't read or seen them I recommend that you do spend some time on them. I am currently finishing up God's and Generals and recently finished Gettysburg a few nights ago.

2 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

some good books there.

brothers k- is this a book loosely based on the brothers karamazov? you should check that book out too.

gods and generals- AMAZING. i read this one summer straight through man. hard to put down.

11:26 PM

 
Blogger Benjamin said...

Yes, T-dogizzle I am sure you are correct out about "the brothers k" being loosely based on the brothers karamzov.

1:59 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home