Thoughts,Songs,Writings,Rants,Encouragements, and Life

Thursday, November 03, 2005

Those Signs again...

A while back I posted a thought about how we often as Christian leaders can and have become like signs on the side of the road pointing our students and members in the right direction. This is something I have been mulling over for a while...(this and things like Style and Quality-look for more on those later) Well...I have been thinking about turning that little post into more of a devotional or talk type deal. So I thought I would continue the thought process on the idea of the Sign on the side of the road with this scripture...which is close to what I am getting at...

Hebrews 5:11-14

"There is som much more we would like to say about this. But you don't seem to listen, so it's hard to make you understand. You have been Christians a long time now, and you ought to be teaching others. Instead, you need someone to teach you again the basic things a beginner must learn about the Scriptures. You are like babies who drink only milk and cannot eat solid food. And a person who is living on milk isn't very far along in the Christian life adn doesn't know what is right. Solid food is for those who are mature, who have trained themselves to recognize the difference between right and wrong and then do what is right."


Why all that????

Yesterday, I took part in a spiritual retreat with the ACCS staff. This was supposed to be a time to grow and learn more about our ministry. What it turned into, was an eye opening experience for me and a magnified look into who I am really working with.

I recently spent some quality time with some students while they were on their Practical Training trip. It was here that I was a facilitator and evaluator of the students. First of all, I do not believe that I am in any way shape or form an adequate leader or facilitator or evaluator for these boys. I used to feel inferior to them, because most of them are older than me. But throught time I began to realize that I was not inferior but a capable teacher and encourager. (even though I have no college education, I was capable to interact and evaluate on my past experiences) Towards the end of this time, we would take each student and three of us would lieterally crucify the student for what He had done wrong while he was leading. (this breaks my heart and was not a fun experience) The smallest thing was not left undone...or without rebuke. I was struggling to keep my mouth shut at times and trying to be an encourager through it all.

So back to the ACCS retreat. I sat and watched as grown men, leaders, teachers, and administrators poured their hearts out. I am not at liberty to say what was said in that group, but I can say this: "These leaders struggle with the same things these students are drowning in and being crucified for." And I began thinking about that post I had done earlier about the sign on the side of the road. (no, that was not humor...that was brutal truth) These leaders are capable and all have the education and in most cases experience...but their is something missing between them and their teaching...IT'S NOT MAKING IT TO THE STUDENTS. We are teaching, but its not being applied or we are bad communicators...or maybe...just maybe...we oursleves have not even figured out how to conquer or understand or put into practice what we are in fact teaching these students...

I know this is a harsh reality. I know this is a brutal blog. But it needs to be written. Take it for what its worth and know that I am learning myself how to deal with these issues in my own life.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

You told me to leave a comment. So here it is, a comment! Hmm, what to say. That you're amazing, that I'm constantly motivated to think in a completely different direction about things by you.

That you shine Jesus! That I think you're great, and I'm proud and privileged to call you friend.

Is that comment enough??

Megs

6:19 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home