Thoughts,Songs,Writings,Rants,Encouragements, and Life

Thursday, May 25, 2006

A Hero...Part UNO

Okay...so here is the deal. I have been wanting to do a series of posts on my heros. Some may seem lame...some may cause you to think. Some may catch your attention. Some may need to be re-evaluated later...

Definition of a Hero...
Hero .n
1.In mythology and legend, a man, often of divine ancestry, who is endowed with great courage and strength, celebrated for his bold exploits, and favored by the gods.
2.A person noted for feats of courage or nobility of purpose, especially one who has risked or sacrificed his or her life: soldiers and nurses who were heroes in an unpopular war.
3.A person noted for special achievement in a particular field: the heroes of medicine. See Synonyms at celebrity.
4.The principal male character in a novel, poem, or dramatic presentation.


Growing up as a kid I had many heros. I wanted to be a hero myself. I wanted to be a fire fighter and save lives. I wanted to be good. I wanted to fight evil. I wanted my own action figure. IT NEVER HAPPENED!!!

I was a huge fan of the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles. I had underwear. T-shirts. Tank tops. Hats. Shorts. Socks. Parties. Figures. Kites. Videos...You name it I had the Turtles.

We used to play the Turtles on my street. I was always Michealangelo. My bro was the bad guy ...and my sister was always April. We were mean to her. We would kill her off immediately because she was a girl. She would always ask "can I be undead yet?" And I would reply "No!"

Michealangelo appeals to me for a couple of reasons.

1. He is a party animal
2. He is brash
3. He got the lady
4. He was Orange (My favorite color used to be orange...therefor favorite character was orange)
5. He had Nun-Chucks (sorry to all the nuns and Chucks out there. I wish not to hurt your feelings...)

What was there not to like??? Seriously...who was your favorite turtle?



Another side to the Michealangelo thing was the fact that the TV show actually got me into art. Yes, the Turtles were named after famous artists. And one that I really like is Michealangelo. I do not know enough about him, but I wish to learn more.

Here is what I do know...that I like: He was an Italian sculptor, painter, architect and poet. He was one of the founders of the High Renaissance and, in his later years, one of the principal exponents of Mannerism.

This dude kicked butt! Seriously. Check out this poem...so geniusly entitled...


POEM

by: Michelangelo Buonarroti (1475-1564)

AVISHED by all that to the eyes is fair,
Yet hungry for the joys that truly bless,
My soul can find no stair
To mount to heaven, save earth's loveliness.
For from the stars above
Descends a glorious light
That lifts our longing to their highest height
And bears the name of love.
Nor is there aught can move
A gentle heart, or purge or make it wise,
But beauty and the starlight of her eyes.






So folks...two heros...two influences. One great man. One great Turtle.

These are my heros for today.

1 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

you summed up my childhood infatuation w/michaelangelo in one short post. he was everything i wanted to be.
the turtle i most disliked was leonardo, he always acted responsibly and that didnt seem very fun to me.

12:23 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home