Thoughts,Songs,Writings,Rants,Encouragements, and Life

Monday, August 14, 2006

The River Why

I took a book with me to Klemtu thinking I would have a little bit of time to read each day. It turns out I wish I would have had more time to read. The book: The River Why, by David James Duncan. The time: less than two weeks. The average amount of time to read each day: 10 minutes.

Needless to say, the time spent on this book was worth it. I was married to this book for about two weeks. The book followed me everywhere. Someone told me that I must love this book becuase I carry it everywhere. The truth is: I loved this book.

If you are a man or woman who loves fishing, you will love this book too. Duncan has such a creative and descriptive writing style. He pulls things from everywhere and somehow ties everything into one story. He has the ability to imagine and see things that most people will never hear about let alone see in their lifetime. The humor of this book is beyond me. There were times I was flat out rolling on the floor laughing. Students (in Klemtu) would look up and see me laugh outloud..."what Ben? another funny part?" and then I would reply "oh yes!" then read to them a little portion of the funniness.

I love to fish. I don't get to do it often enough...don't make time for it, but reading through this book I was literally aching to be on the water, in the water, or near the water fishing for the Laviathon of my dreams. What do you know...I got to spend an entire day fishing in Klemtu and pulled in a few mini Laviathons to feed this silly addiction of mine.

The River Why is a great read. The story tells of Gus Orviston a Portland native who at the age of twenty goes to find himself on the rivers of the Oregon coast. He lives in a cabin for a year, meets the most interesting people and fishes all day.

This book rocked me. It could be catogorized with Catch-22 and Zen and the Art of motorcylce maintainance and should be if you ask me! The thought process will run laps with your head, but in the end you understand everything.

I will warn you...language and some crudities are in this book! And some messed up philosophy! If you can't handle it...I suggest you just walk on by! But if you think you can, Go get this book NOW!!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home